First of all, my heartfelt thanks to everyone for your words of support and encouragement. I had lunch with Colin today: he appreciates all your comments, sends his regards, but his mind is set. You can’t even begin to imagine the sort of things he’s been contemplating in his post-HDTVTest era… “attractive” to say the least. ;)
Moving forward, I will continue to review HDTVs (here’s the latest: Philips 42PFL7662D) as funds permit. Taking on board a few points suggested by you guys in the previous post, I’ve been brainstorming ways to raise money for this project:
- Anyone interested in HDTV calibration service around the North West region? My rates would be much cheaper than any other calibrators in the UK, and I possess in-depth knowledge of all the televisions I’ve reviewed on this site.
- Anyone interested in buying the HDTVs that I’ve finished reviewing? I usually buy from the cheapest online store I could find anyway so the price would be competitive. To compensate for the TV being second hand (it will actually be as new because I take care of the TVs very well and usually sell them within 2 weeks), you’ll get it with the full calibrated settings (worth £250 if you get a calibrator to do it), and I’ll walk you through how to get the best out of the TV.
- Collect some donation before going ahead to buy and review a HDTV… sort of like how http://www.phpvideotutorials.com are doing it.
- Pay-per-access or monthly subscription… really doubt this will work though when there are free reviews elsewhere.
- Just a simple “big ass Paypal ‘Support Us’ button” :) (as suggested by Max)
These are just thoughts… I need to gauge the response before acting on them, so let me know what you guys think.